I am regularly getting asked by clients how to simplify the process for getting Google Reviews so here is a simple guide to increase these and make it easy for your clients.
It is usually a pain in the arse for people to go through the usual process ie:
- Find your listing in GoogleMyBusiness (Maps/Places)
- Open the listing
- Find the button to click to leave a review
- Writing the review and remembering to select the appropriate number of stars (we often see glowing reviews with 0 stars clicked).
Here is a quick process to follow to create a link you can send to your clients that will open the review box automatically with 5 stars pre populated. This way it means they have to make a conscious decision to downgrade the star number (most won’t).
1. Go to the Google Places API and search for the place ID of your business: https://developers.google.com/places/place-id
2. Add your Place ID to the end of this link: https://search.google.com/local/writereview?placeid=
3. Open the link in a browser and copy the generated final destination link (this will be very long eg: https://search.google.com/local/writereview?placeid=ChIJ6WdXXgVIDW0RRVt38hnKEvA
4. The next step is to add ,5 (comma5) to the end of the url. This creates a link that automatically opens up a GoogleMyBusiness review for your business with 5 stars pre populated.
5. My final recommended step is to use a url shortener like Bit.ly to personalise and shorten the link.
If your business isn’t listed in the google places API follow these alternate steps (Courtesy of Kerry Suter from Squadrun),
1) Open google maps (https://google.co.nz/maps) and seach for you business until you are the only result.
2) Replace http:// with view-source: in the URL
3) Click CTRL+F and search the source code for “ludocid”
4) Copy the entire string that contains your business URL in “
5) Paste in Notepad or similar,
6) Remove or Replace “\u003d” with “=” and replace “\u0026” with “&” to result in a complete string that resembles the following,
7) Suffix the string with ,5 (defaults the review to 5 stars).
The end result should be something like this: http://www.google.com/search…
8) Shorten it with TinyURL or similar